Ever since I switched my URL from blogspot to embracingbalance.com the search function on my blog hasn’t worked properly. I added the search widget over on the sidebar and that worked better…but now neither of them are working to my satisfaction!
I know I’ve posted my Mom’s chili recipe before, but I can’t find it so I guess I’m posting it again!
Mom’s Basic Chili
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 can Campbell’s tomato soup (plus 1/2 can water)
- 3-4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne or red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
(This recipe lends itself to modifications really easily. If you like green peppers or celery or any other veggie in your chili, go right ahead and add them in. I often add garlic with the onions, and a can of drained diced tomatoes.)
- Start sauteeing the onion in a drizzle of oil over medium heat. When about half sweated, add the ground beef. Break up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add half the chili powder at this point so it cooks into the meat.
- When almost cooked through add beans, soup, and water. Stir to combine, then add seasonings…saving the salt for last. Taste and then salt as desired.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until all flavors combined.
- I like to let it rest then check for seasoning. If you like it really spicy you may want to add extra chili powder or cayenne at this point.
For tonight’s version I actually used extra lean ground turkey, and I had a can of organic mixed beans instead of the kidney beans. I like the variety much better!
Topped tonight’s dish with light sour cream and a big scoop of canned corn (you can just throw the corn right in the pan when you are almost done cooking…that’s what I usually do).
While the chili was sitting and getting all flavorful, I hit the gym. Nothing like a Friday night at the gym. So quiet!
- 23 minutes elliptical, cross country
- 1 minute lunges
- 1 minute reverse lunges
- 1 minute angled lunges
- 1 minute squats on the bosu
- 3 sets: hamstrings curls on the ball, regular crunches
- 1 minute plank
Usually I like to have tortilla chips or a nice buttery roll with my chili but while wandering the natural foods aisle for a new bag of flax last night I happened upon corn muffin mix on sale so grabbed that for something different.
Just followed the directions on the bag…making only a half batch…and voila…15 minutes later I had easy-peasy corn muffins. nom nom nom. :) A little dry, but once immersed in my bowl fulla chili it was deeeeelish.
Next time I think they need some cheese or green onions or something.
Now I’m all fuelled up for a night of puttering around the house, catching up on PVR shows and maybe some reading before bed. I realized that I have 3 books started so I need to pick them off one by one. Last night I started up with The Lovely Bones again, and that was a hard one to get back into…it’s a bit of a weird one!
Friday treat: mini dish of those gourmet jelly beans I hid from myself earlier this week. :)