When Michael and I started planning the second dinner party I asked him if I could contribute another fun appetizer. I was so pleased with the Epic Cheese Ball that I wanted to see if I could create another delicious pre-dinner snack.
We had leftover blue cheese and bacon from that cheese ball so I immediately thought of a recipe I had at home that would include those items. Except when I got home it turned out the stuffed date recipe I was thinking of didn’t have bacon in it. Oooops.
Well clearly the bacon is the most important part of this situation so I did what any red blooded foodie would do. I made up my own recipe. And it rocks…you know, if I can toot my own horn here.
Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Stuffed Dates
- 18 fresh Medjool dates, pitted
- 3 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 6 slices bacon, sliced into thirds
- maple syrup for drizzling (optional)
* If you aren’t a blue cheese fan this would likely work well with cream cheese or goat cheese too…maybe one of the flavoured ones. Yum.
- Mix a small drizzle of syrup into the blue cheese.
- Slice each date lengthwise to remove pit. Fill each slit date with equal amounts of blue cheese. Lightly squeeze dates closed.
- Carefully wrap each date with a small piece of bacon, having the thicker overlapped parts on the bottom. Placed wrapped dates in a well sprayed baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 15 minutes. When bacon is looking almost done, turn on the broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the tops. Watch carefully as the bacon will burn quickly.
- Drizzle lightly with syrup and let stand 5 minutes to cool before serving.
* When you wrap bacon around something healthy they cancel each other out. Honest.