I may have just invented the easiest, most dangerous chocolate treat EVER.
Recently, a friend brought me this jar of
gold Cookie Butter from Trader Joe’s. This stuff is highly sought after and I may have actually squealed when he pulled it out of the bag and handed it to me.
I can haz the speculooooos!
Problem was, I didn’t much care for it. Or rather, I’ve become so accustomed to unsweetened nut butters on my toast and celery sticks that every time I tried using the cookie butter it just didn’t float my boat. It’s pretty sweet.
So obviously I had to find a better use for it. I’m still considering Cookie Butter Cookies but until then how about some Cookie Butter Cups?! They are like peanut butter cups…only about a hundred times more awesome.
The best part? This is a 3 ingredient recipe.
Cookie Butter Cups – aka Speculoos Cups
yields 12 mini cups
- 1 cup dark melting chocolate or chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut or canola oil
- 12 rounded teaspoons Cookie Butter
- optional: 1 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips
- Line a mini muffin tin with foil liners.
- Using either a double boiler or a microwave, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil together, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Drizzle one scant tablespoon of the melted chocolate into each of the muffin liners. Carefully smooth the chocolate and spread it a bit up the side of the liners.
- If using the mini chocolate chips stir them into the cookie butter.
- Spoon one rounded teaspoon of cookie butter mixture into the center of each chocolate lined cup (I used two small spoons to do this).
- Drizzle more chocolate over each cup, being careful to cover all of the cookie butter. Carefully jiggle the pan to get tops as even as possible.
- Place muffin tin in freezer for minimum 20 minutes or until ready to eat, share, gift, or photograph. :)
Oh.my.YUM. The dark chocolate is exactly what the sweetened, gingerbready spread needed. There’s a reason peanut butter cups are so popular. Chocolate and butter just go together! Er, well, nut butter!
I am now incredibly glad I did not purchase another jar of this stuff during my own recent trip down to Trader Joe’s. My limited supply will stop me from eating all of this batch and making more any time I have 10 minutes to spare.
I knew I couldn’t NOT like something called COOKIE BUTTER. I knew it!