Finally I have a complete lower body strength workout for you guys! I have been fiddling around with this for weeks now and after a few discussions back and forth with my certified trainer buddy Tia, we now have a final copy to share!
Personally I struggle with lower back angst so I wanted to make sure we were putting together a workout that is great for me and would hopefully benefit anyone else that has similar issues. This set of exercises has worked perfectly for me as an intermediate gym goer but can easily be adapted for beginners as well.
Let me know if you tackle our trainer approved Lower Body Blast!
Warm up with 5-10 minutes of moderate cardio. Beginners do 2 sets of 12, Intermediate do 3 sets and add weight as indicated.
- Walking Lunges (intermed: holding dumbbells)
- Reverse Lunges* (intermed: from a step)
- Leg Press Machine*
- Squats (intermed: holding medicine ball)
- Plié Squats* (intermed: holding medicine ball)
- On the Ball Leg Curls
- Deadlifts (for intermediates with proper form only)
- Donkey Kicks*
- Fire Hydrants
- Calf Raises – 1 set each regular, plié, pigeon-toed (intermed: on a step)
- Bridge* (beginner 10 seconds x 3, intermed 30 seconds x 3)
Finish with 20-30 minutes moderate cardio and proper stretching. Perform on non-consecutive days…I like to alternate with my Upper Body Burn.
In a time crunch? Only perform exercises with the * asterix, but try to up your weight and do a fast cardio blast to complete the workout.
Want more sweat? Add 1 minute of fast paced cardio after every second exercise (skipping, burpees, mountain climbers, high knees, etc).
Do you have a favourite lower body exercise? I’m pretty much loving the combo of donkey kicks and fire hydrants!