So last week I found that one of things that kept me from snacking my face off all afternoon was having a selection of snack bars on hand. During the gap between lunch and dinner I would help myself to a Kind bar, or Larabar, or some such healthy treat.
The problem with those bars is they eat up my grocery budget in a hurry so I opted to raid my cupboards and put a couple of homemade snacks into rotation instead. After putting together a batch of my Choco-Cranberry Granola Bars I decided to try my hand at a chocolate and peanut butter combination as well. Because, I mean really, how can you beat choco-PB?!
Chocolate-Bottomed Roasted Peanut Bars
Yields 12 squares
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp canola or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup peanuts
- 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- pinch coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread peanuts out on a shallow baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer peanuts to cutting board and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat brown rice syrup and peanut butter. Bring to a light boil, stirring until peanut butter melts. Keep warm.
- In either the microwave, or over a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and oil together. Stirring frequently until smooth.
- Add oatmeal, roasted peanuts and pinch of salt to syrup mixture. Stir until all ingredients combined.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet evenly spread melted chocolate in a rectangle against one end of the pan (approx 3-4 inches wide). Top chocolate layer with oatmeal mixture and use an extra piece of parchment to firmly press bars together using your hands to form a flat edge on the open side.
- Place bars in freezer for approximately 20 minutes to set. Transfer chilled bar to cutting board and cut into 12 squares.
- Keep refrigerated.
MyFitnessPal brings these little treats in at 120 calories each. Assuming you can eat just one they make a perfect mid-afternoon pick me up. Or late night TV snack. Or tasty little pairing for morning coffee. Enjoy!